Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Family history in Wallowa County

Today I took Grandpa & Grandma Baxter to Enterprise with me. They spent the day with me in court. We had a great time together. Here they are with Tracy who is from London. She has an awesome accent. Grandma's beloved grandmother, "Gram" and her husband, Sam Bannister, are buried in the Enterprise cemetary. Their graves are on the northeast side of the cemetary towards the top of the hill.
Buried next to them is Grandmother Tucker's sister, Ethel Wade, and her son, Max Bauer.
Wallowa County is truly beautiful.
This is the Praire Creek cemetary just a couple miles east of Joseph. Here is the Tucker plot for Granddad's family. Grandma Baxter told me today that the cement surrounding the plot was poured by her grandfather, George, and her great-grandfather, Landon. She is pretty impressed with the quality of cement they poured. The large tree was planted by her grandmother Estella who died in the fire. Buried behind the large metal grave marker is Landon's wife. He is buried somewhere around Medford. Grandma and Grandpa Baxter want to be buried between the large metal marker and the gravestone for Granddad and Grandmother directly in front of where this picture was taken.
Two uncles of Granddad Tucker, Maxine, his parents, and the nephew who died in the fire with his mother are also buried in this plot.
Grandma's twin sister, Maxine, is buried to her right. Maxine died at age 4 1/2 years after a tonsillectomy. Though she had a bad heart, that isn't what killed her. The doctor nicked a vein in her neck during the surgery and sometime after waking from the operation, she bled to death. After she died, the doctor turned to Grandma's folks and said, "Every doctor makes mistakes. This is one of them." Each Memorial Day, Grandmother Tucker would take pink rose buds to put at Maxine's grave.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. I never would have thought to blog or take these pictures. I love the beautiful pictures of Gram and Pops together. I really feel like I will be able to take my family and easily find these headstones. I really like knowing that Landon and George poured that cement. I will tell my Landon that story. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Greg! Thanks for posting the info. You are a wonderful son, spending time with mom and dad doing things that mean so much to them. Thanks for the example.

    I liked the information included also. I need to record it into my family files....

    Anyway, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I was just wondering how your R.S. thing went?!

    Cute family by the way!

    ReplyDelete